TWITTER is a real-time information network that connects you to the latest information about what you find interesting. Simply find the public streams you find most compelling and follow the conversations.
At the heart of TWITTER are small bursts of information called TWEETS. Each TWEET is 140 characters in length, but don’t let the small size fool you—you can share a lot with a little space. Connected to each TWEET is a rich details pane that provides additional information, deeper context and embedded media. You can tell your story within your TWEET, or you can think of a TWEET as the headline, and use the details pane to tell the rest with photos, videos and other media content.
You don’t have to build a web page to surf the web and you don’t have to TWEET to enjoy TWITTER. Whether you TWEET 100 times a day or never, you still have access to the voices and information surrounding what interests you. You can contribute, or just listen in and retrieve up to the second information. Some people never TWEET, they simply use TWITTER as a way to get the latest information on their interests.
The club uses its TWITTER account (@G4WAW) to announce its Calendar events and other news worthy items. This page shows step-by-step how to set up a TWITTER account, follow the club and receive SMS updates.
Create your TWITTER Account
- Using a web Browser (Firefox, Google Chrome etc.) go to http://www.twitter.com
- Click on the big yellow button called "Sign Up"
- Complete the boxes:
- Full Name – Your forename and surname (1 forename should suffice)
- Username – You choose, although as this has to be unique I suggest your callsign
- Select a password – remember the usual advice about strong passwords
- Enter a valid E-Mail Address
- Check or Uncheck the "let others find me by my e-mail address" as you see fit. Personally I uncheck this box.
- Uncheck "I want the inside scoop – please send me e-mail updates!"
- Click on "Create My Account"
- You will be asked to type in two words displayed as a graphic to confirm you are a real person and not a machine.
Personalise your TWITTER Account
- On the "Interests" page click on "Next Step: Friends"
- On the "Friends" page click on "Skip import"
- Click on your "Username" in the top right hand corner of the screen and logout.
- Go to your e-mail client (Thunderbird or webmail such as GoogleMail) and open the validation e-mail from TWITTER.
- Click on the validation link. You will be taken back into TWITTER and be able to update your profile."
- In the black "TWITTER" bar at the top of the page click on "Home".
- In the black "TWITTER" bar at the top of the page click on "Profile".
- In the white area to the left of the screen beneath your name and user name click on "Edit your profile".
- On the "Account" page set your "timezone" and check the other details are correct. Click on "Save" at the bottom of the page. You may be asked to confirm your password at this point.
Do not leave this screen as the next section picks up assuming you are on the "Account" page.
Set up your Mobile Phone
- To the right of the word "Account" click on "Mobile".
- Selct you "Country/Region" from the drop down box. This is usually "UK".
- Enter your mobile number without the leading "0". I.e. 07123 456 789 is entered as 7123456789.
- Uncheck "Let others find me by my phone number".
- Pick your "Carrier" or "Service Provider" from the drop down box. Tesco Mobile, Virgin, Asda Mobile and in fact anyone not directly on the big 4 networks (3, O2, Orange and Vodafone) will have to do a bit of experimenting here.
- Click on "Start".
- Text "Go" to 86444 to verify your phone. This is the only time you will have to text to TWITTER.
If everything works the verification page should automatically refresh to show your Mobile Settings.
The default settings should be OK for most people, but I advise that you:
- Uncheck the box "Mentions and replies"
- Tick the box "Turn off updates during these hours" and select a suitable timeframe such as midnight – 07:00 to avoid being woken by text messages
Don’t forget to click on the SAVE button
Do not leave this screen as the next section picks up assuming you are on the "Mobile" page.
Follow South Bristol ARC
- At the top of the page click on "Find People".
- At the top right of the white section of the page type "G4WAW" (without quotes) into the search box and click on "Search".
- G4WAW – South Bristol ARC should be returned from your search. Click on "Follow".
- Now click on the egg or profile picture for G4WAW in the search results list. The right hand side of your screen should display the G4WAW homepage.
Below our summary and the number of tweets, followers and following is a green button with a tick and the word "Following". To the immediate right of this is a small phone symbol.
Click on the "phone symbol" and it should go green like the symbol to the right of it.
Nothing else to do, nearly:
- You have set up a TWITTER Account which you may use as often as you please.
- You have confirmed your mobile phone with TWITTER.
- You are following the clubs TWEETS.
- You have set up text messaging of the Clubs TWEETS to get timely reminders of news and events.
All you have to do now is log out by clicking on your "Username" in the top right hand corner of the screen and selecting "Sign Out" from the drop down list.
If there are any problems or things don't go to plan please speak to Andy (G7KNA) or Steve (G0UQT) at the club.