VHF National Field Day 2018 will take place over the weekend of 07/07/2018 – 08/07/2018. This page is intended to be a scratch pad for the planning and organisation of SBARCs participation in the event.
We hope to be operating from our usual location on Dundry Hill, watch this space and our TWITTER feed.
Assuming that we are at our regular location then the site is located at:
- Ordnance Survey Grid Reference (OSGR) ST568656;
- Lat/Long: 51.387882,-2.622063;
- The IARU locator is IO81qj; and
- the Worked All Britain Square is ST56 – England
The field entrance is located at:
- OSGR ST566657
- Lat/Long: 51.389010,-2.625051
In the maps below:
- "C" = The Carpenters Arms
- "E" = Field Entrance
- "F" = Field Day Site
Until the contest starts we suggest a net be set up on GB3ZB, the Frys Hill 70cm Repeater, which being situated on Dundry ought to be an end stopping signal even for hand helds using a wet noodle.
|Reference||Output (MHz)||Input (MHz)||Offset (MHz)||CTCSS (Hz)|
|GB3ZB||430.825MHz FM||438.425MHz FM||+7.600MHz||77.0Hz|
- 11:00 BST (10:00 UTC) Saturday – Arrive on site to commence set up.
- 15:00 BST (14:00 UTC) Saturday – Contest Start.
- 00:00 BST (23:00 UTC) Saturday – Anticipated start of 8 hour shut down¹.
- 08:00 BST (07:00 UTC) Sunday – Anticipated resumption of contest activities¹.
- 15:00 BST (14:00 UTC) Sunday – Contest End.
- 17:00 BST (16:00 UTC) – Leave site.
¹Actual timing of shut down period dependant on band activity.
This list is based on the operating setup and experiences of previous years.
|Main 2m SSB Transceiver:||Club FT-991 and Microphone||Special Events Manager|
|Main 13.8V 25A/30A PSU:||Club Manson EP-925||Special Events Manager|
|Antenna:||Club 14 element beam||Special Events Manager|
|Adaptors:||Variety of PL-259/SO-239 to N-Type (male and female) plus barrels/gender changers for both PL/SO and N Type||All|
|Mast:||Club 8m Tripod Mast||Special Events Manager|
|Rotator:||Club Rotator with top and bottom clamp and stub mast and 8 way CAT 5 control cable circa 25m||Special Events Manager|
|Feeder:||Circa 25m 50Ohm low loss||Special Events Manager|
|Patch Leads:||Selection required at both antenna and shack:
1. FT-991 – SWR Meter (N Type – PL259)
2. SWR Meter – Antenna below rotator (PL259 – N Type)
3. Rotation length: below rotator – antenna feedpoint (N-Type, (requires N-Type barrel) – N Type (Check antenna)
|Generator:||Minimum 2kVA generator||Fred G7LPP|
|Fuel:||Minimum 15l unleaded petrol in jerry can or approved container||Fred G7LPP|
|240V 16A 3 Way Splitter:||3 pin round 16A 3 way splitter with trip
1 male 16A 3 pin blue to 3 female 16A 3 pin blue
|Operating Supply:||1. 13A 3 pin – 16A 3 pin blue female
2. Circa 20m 3 core arctic cable 16A 3 pin blue male – 16A 3 pin blue female
3. 3 pin round 16A male to 4 way 13A 3 pin socket circa 12m
|Computer:||Club Dell Laptop – Internal clock set accurately and SDV configured for the event.||Andy G7KNA|
|Accommodation:||Details to be confirmed|
|Furniture:||Depends on operating accommodation
Details to be confirmed
|Catering and Housekeeping:||1. Camping stove or Club BBQ
2. Bottled gas to suit camping stove or Club BBQ
3. Cold box
4. Kettle (not electric)
6. Frying pan
7. Washing up bowel and liquid
8. Paper plates and cups
9. Plastic knives and forks
10. Rubbish Sacks
|Catering Manager (Vacant position)|
|Water:||Clean drinking water in containers||All|
2. Tea Bags
7. Bread or rolls
9. Bacon, eggs and sausage or similar
NOTE – Anyone wanting beer, wine, cider etc. should bring their own
|Catering Manager (Vacant position)|
|Tools:||Screwdrivers, cutters, pliers, spanners/sockets, multi-meter, soldering iron (gas and electric), lump hammer, insulation tape, and anything else you can think of||All|
|Sundries:||Paper, pencils, clipboard(s), rules, band plans, IARU maps, European prefix maps, and anything else you can think of||All|
|Farmers Payment:||Usual terms||Secretary|