Date of Event: 31 May 2018
Start Time: 20:00 (local)
FOX Operator: Mark M0SKV
- Operator Classes: There will be 4 classes of operators:
- THE FOX – This will be a single operator who will set up in an undisclosed location within the OPERATIONAL AREA offering reasonable coverage of the South Bristol area and will transmit a standard message at fixed intervals on the FOX FREQUENCY from the start time using limited power (typically a PEP of 5W or less) and employing an omnidirectional antenna. The FOX will have the capability to Tx/Rx on the FOX FREQUENCY and to Tx/Rx on the TALKBACK FREQUENCIES;
- THE CLUBHOUSE DF TEAM – This will be a group of operators (some of whom may also be part of the CLUBHOUSE PLOTTING TEAM) who will have the capability to Rx the FOX FREQUENCY with a directional antenna to determine a bearing onto the FOX position. Tx/Rx on the TALKBACK FREQUENCIES is not required as the CLUBHOUSE PLOTTING TEAM will provide this capability;
- THE CLUBHOUSE PLOTTING TEAM – This will be a group of people (some of whom may also be part of the CLUBHOUSE DF TEAM) equipped with suitable scale accurate topographic maps of the South Bristol area who will plot the positions of the CLUBHOUSE DF TEAM and the MOBILE DF OPERATORS and correlate the bearings taken by all teams and relayed via the TALKBACK FREQUENCIES to locate the FOX. They will have the capability to Tx/Rx on the TALKBACK FREQUENCIES. Rx on the FOX FREQUENCY is not required as the CLUBHOUSE DF TEAM will provide this capability; and
- MOBILE DF OPERATORS – This will consist of individual or groups of operators with the capability Rx the FOX FREQUENCY with a directional antenna from a fixed “field” location. They will set up at separate fixed locations and will relay their position and subsequent bearings to the CLUBHOUSE PLOTTING TEAM via the TALKBACK FREQUENCIES. They will have the capability to Tx/Rx on the TALKBACK FREQUENCIES.
- Objective: The objective is for the CLUBHOUSE PLOTTING TEAM to correlate the results from the CLUBHOUSE DF TEAM and MOBILE DF OPERATORS, as relayed via the TALKBACK FREQUENCIES, to determine the position of the FOX.
- Operational Area: The FOX may locate themselves anywhere within the coverage of a 1:25,000 OS Explorer map centred on the Clubhouse, this is essentially a 10km (6.21m) radius and is approximately illustrated below, subject to having reasonable radio coverage of the South Bristol area.
- Duration: The operation will end when one or more of the following conditions is met:
- The CLUBHOUSE PLOTTING TEAM can direct one or more of the MOBILE DF OPERATORS and/or messenger(s) dispatched from the Clubhouse to the FOX location and these people can confirm physical contact with the FOX;
- The CLUBHOUSE PLOTTING TEAM can advise the FOX via the TALKBACK FREQUENCIES of his/her location; or
- At some other time as agreed/stipulated by the FOX.
- Talkback: There will be NO communication on the FOX FREQUENCY other than the announcements by the FOX, all talkback shall be via the TALKBACK FREQUENCIES.
- FOX Transmissions: The FOX shall transmit a standard message at regular intervals on the FOX FREQUENCY. The content, duration of and interval between transmissions shall be at the discretion of the FOX. Additional transmissions or changes (such as reduction in Tx power) may be requested by the DF stations via the TALKBACK FREQUENCIES, the FOX will use his/her discretion as to whether these requests are implemented.
- Variations to the Start Time: The start time may be varied by agreement with the FOX via the TALKBACK FREQUENCIES to allow for problems in getting positioned and set up or if everyone is in position and ready early.
- FOX FREQUENCY: On this occasion the FOX FREQUENCY shall be 144.700MHz FM unless advised otherwise by the FOX via the TALKBACK FREQUENCIES. Ideally the FOX FREQUENCY should remain fixed during the event but if need arises the FOX FREQUENCY may be changed during the operation to avoid QRM/QRN or other operators. Changes during the event will be made by the FOX and will be announced via the TALKBACK FREQUENCIES.
- Talkback Frequencies: On this occasion the TALKBACK FREQUENCIES shall be GB3ZB (Input: 438.4250MHz, Output: 430.8250MHz, Shift: +7.6MHz, CTCSS: 77.0Hz). When communicating on the TALKBACK FREQUENCIES the FOX shall use their personal callsign.
- Fox Callsign: On this occasion the FOX shall operate on the FOX FREQUENCY under the callsign G4WAW or GX4WAW.